Sunday, October 2, 2011

Getting Things Done: A Noteworthy Accomplishment

Getting things done...where do I begin?   Professionally, I never seem to have a problem getting things done.  But now that I have taken on classes, my time is dwindling in a downward spiral.  It seems what I am letting go in my time is not professional endeavors...it is my personal responsibilities of home.  I find that I am so tired after completing course work and grading 150 students' writing that I have no energy for cooking dinner or doing laundry.  It may seem silly, but I think I may have to add these responsibilities to my calendar! Reading the exerpt from David Allen's Getting Things Done, made me realize I have to prioratize.  He discusses five stages to becoming and staying organized to accomplish your tasks at hand. 

Stage One: Collect

Allen describes this as gathering all tasks, listing those tasks, and keeping them in one physical location.  He stresses that it must be a physical location--not memory.  Even as an auditory-heavy learner, I need to list my tasks physically and not just rely on my memory.  I may very well forget something of importance.  I have, in the past, kept my work related tasks on my Microsoft Outlook calendar.  Now having an I-Google in place, I plan on using my calendar there to keep track of all professional and home tasks that need my attention.  This makes more sense for me because I do not always have access to my work computer.  With my I-Google I will be able to access my tasks from any place! 

Stage Two: Process 

Here is your decision making!  Allen states that there are necessary questions one must ask at this stage:
  1. What is it?
  2. Is it actionable? If no, toss it or put it in a file for a later time.
  3. What is the next action?
  4. Will it take less then 2 minutes? Yes, do it. No, then
  5. Defer or delegate
Like I said before, I have no issues processing my work related tasks.  I fall behind in my home life.  So, this is where I need work.  I am going to add my home responsibilities to my workflow.  This should be easy because most home related taks should take no more than two minutes and can be done when taking a break from course work or grading.  Throwing a load of laundry in or a load of dishes in the dishwasher really take a minimal amount of time. 

Stage Three: Organize

When organizing, you decide what to do with each task.  Allen describes deciding what to do with each of these tasks as tossing them in a bucket.  The buckets in his book are the following main categories:


  1. Projects (you have a commitment to finish)
  2. Calendar (actions that must occur on a specific day or time)
  3. Next Actions – (actions that need to be done as soon as possible)
  4. Waiting for – (projects and actions others are supposed to be doing, which you care about)
This is really your "sorting" process.  Which tasks are of the highest priority or must be completed first?  Which tasks can be put of to a later date? Decisions must be made.  Luckily, for me, I have no problems with the stage professionally and can incorporate personal tasks in between the work!

Stage Four: Review
Allen suggests having a process for reviewing your taks weekly.  This will not work for me.  I have to do this process on a daily basis.  I like to look at my tasks on a calendar on a monthly basis, but I must have a smaller step-by-step look on a daily basis.  I tend to check my Outlook a couple of times a day at school--in the morning when I arrive, at lunch to make sure I haven't missed anything, and again at the end of the school day to see what lies ahead for the evening or next day.  I think I will use this same process when switching over to my I-Google calendar. 

Stage Five: Do

The name of this stage is almost laughable simply because it's pure common sense!  Simplicity always rules!  But upon closer examination, it does require thought before the move.  Allen states it simply again with a set of questions:



  1. What you can do?
  2. How much time you have?
  3. How much energy you have?
  4. What your are your priorities?
It is important to review what is actually reasonable for you to accomplish with the time and energy you have at that time. 
I think that I am going to be able to use Allen's model to improve both my professional load and home responsibilities.  Each step makes sense and will help me to stay organized in both aspects of my life. 

2 comments:

  1. Well, if you have family members you need to bring them into the fold. When I am teaching these classes, I tell my husband he has to pitch in! I would never be able to do it without his help. Otherwise, we would all be eating cereal every night or PBJ sandwiches.
    It does take a lot of organization to juggle all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! That's what I've been eating a lot of lately! It is difficult because my husband and I are on different shifts. Luckily, we do not have children right now! I cannot imagine trying to that and this at the same time! To all of you parents out there: You are AWESOME in my eyes!

    ReplyDelete