Saturday, June 9, 2012

Mobile Learning Lab

What tools did you try?

Although I read and watched all of the material available, I was drawn into the examination of 1. using mp3 players and podcasts in the classroom, 2. using flip cameras in the classroom, and 3. using cell phones in the classroom.  I am still awaiting permission to join the Classroom 2.0 site, so I have not been able to participate in that forum. 

I examined using mp3s and podcasts in the classroom the most because this is what I am most interested in as far as making an addition to the technology in my classroom.  I have a mobile lab that I use almost daily with 10 working laptops (16 in total)  and have 6 desk tops as well.  Most days I have enough computers to have each student in the classroom on one!  I have been curious as to how to use mp3 players (which most of my students already have) and podcasts in my classroom. 

I also looked at using flip cameras in the classroom.  This would be a fairly inexpensive technology to add to my classroom that would allow excellent student creativity.  

I was also interested in what other educators had to say about using cell phones in the classroom.  Almost all of my students have cell phones with Internet connection, and they have already said they would be willing to share with those students who do not have a phone.  I think that in itself is amazing.  I cannot wait to use the polling site where students send text messages with their answers and we can see answers in real time. 

What ways are you thinking of integrating mobile technology into your classroom?

I am lucky that I have a supportive administrative team that is excited about the technology I want to use in my classroom.  We are currently examining different grants available to update the mobile lab and make it complete so all students have a lap top or I-pad in front of them while in class.  I really want to make use of podcasts in the classroom to allow students to have access to my lectures as well as have podcasts others have done as additional resources to the materials I have taught.  I came across a really neat ESL podcast that I think will be beneficial for my many ESL students.  I also envision using flip cameras for students to create video stories for my class.  It may take some extra work and time manipulation, but students can use these inexpensive devices to record their mystery stories as well as create Public Service Announcements.  I also enjoyed creating the polls on Poll Everywhere.  I think this will be easily incorporated into my classroom and am going to use the polls below as a first-run with my students.  



 
What challenges or inspirations do you see?

I do not see many challenges with the technology I want to incorporate.  What I am looking to do is fairly inexpensive, and I have such a supportive administrative team that I am not concerned at all.  I have also talked to parents about the incorporation of technology into my classroom, and so far, all of the parents have also been supportive.  I believe, as in one video I watched, that we are here to train the next generation of creators and need to address their educational needs with technology.  They are so plugged in to their mobile devices that we should take advantage of their mobile technology for their education! 

No comments:

Post a Comment