Saturday, June 2, 2012

Wicked Problem Project: Part B - Application of TPACK


1. What is the TP knowledge for the solution?  (i.e., how does the technology you have chosen support the teaching strategies and methods you have chosen?)


Technological Pedagogical knowledge is defined as “knowledge of the existence, components and capabilities of various technologies as they are used in teaching and learning settings, and conversely, knowing how teaching might change as the result of using particular technologies.”  I have chosen to utilize my website to upload vodcasts of my lectures and lessons so absent students have access to their education while they are out of the classroom.  This technology is the most appropriate fit for my problem.  (It has also inspired me to look at possibly flipping my classroom next year!)  For now, however, I simply want my students to be able to access information in their absence.  Vodcasts are a simple, easy way to get information to my students whenever they need it.  It is accessible to them 24/7, and they can access the lessons when they are ready.  This makes any place they are a teaching and learning environment!  It will also change how my students apply knowledge in class as they have the ability to go back and review previous lessons. My teaching may change only in that the tools I use during lessons will be a little different.  I will have to record my lectures in real-time using a wireless headset and a tool such as Audacity so that absent students receive the same information as the students in class.  I will also have to make sure that during class discussions I restate questions that are asked in class so the absent students understand why I am discussing a certain topic.  There will also be additional resources attached to each lesson including kid-friendly articles, websites with “game” reinforcements, and videos.  These things may not change my teaching, but it can change my students’ learning.  They will be able to see information I have presented in a different way as well as have engaging activities where they can practice skills. 

2. What is the TC knowledge for the solution? (i.e., how specifically does this technology make the content in your problem more intellectually accessible?  Be sure to think about representation.)


Technological Content Knowledge is “knowledge about the manner in which TK (technological knowledge) and CK (content knowledge) are reciprocally related to each other.  Basically it asks the question, “How can subject matter be changed by the application of a technology?”  For my Wicked Problem, my subject matter will be changed significantly for my students due to the anytime accessibility.  Students will be able to review lessons or portions of lessons they did not quite grasp the first time around.  Having vodcasts of lessons will increase a student’s ability to access content information no matter the time of day.  Allowing students to have information they can review and learn at their own pace will increase student knowledge in my subject matter.  Having a site that students can visit at any time for a first view or review of any lesson, along with having additional resources available to them,  will solidify their content knowledge.   

3. What is the PC knowledge for the solution? (i.e., how specifically do your pedagogical choices make the content in your problem more intellectually accessible? Be sure to think about how the student will experience the content given these instructional strategies.


Pedagogical Content knowledge is, in its most basic definition, teacher knowledge and how to present that knowledge to students in way that is understandable.  It also includes what makes a subject matter difficult or easy to learn as well as knowledge of common misconceptions and likely preconceptions students bring with them to the table.  There are numerous ways that students learn, and being absent from school can often hinder their best learning style because they are not there for the entire experience.  However, podcasting lessons, as well as providing additional resources for students to use, hit upon multiple student learning styles.  The podcast allows for both visual and auditory learners to be most successful in their learning of content.  21st century learners, being constantly bombarded with videos from YouTube and other sources, seem to be comfortable with this learning style.  Having a note- taking form available for students also offers a more kinesthetic option for students.  Another option for students who tend to be more kinesthetic will be the incorporation of games and online activities because they are engaging in more movement for their learning in a technological form.  There will be articles for students who prefer to read for comprehension of a content.  Using podcasts and additional resources on my website will help all of my students learn!           

3 comments:

  1. You make a great point that your students will have the ability to learn differently since they have the option to go back and listen to recordings as much as needed. There have been many times when I needed to listen to a video twice, or read something twice in order to have a better understanding of what I was learning. This is powerful for your students to have the option to listen again and again if necessary. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One obvious point you made above is something I hadn't thought about. You mentioned the fact that your students will be able to view ALL or SOME of the lesson AT ANY TIME. This is a wonderful accommodation for any student. Many of them have crazy schedules or only short periods of time when the computer is available to them or the house is peaceful enough for them to attempt to learn. I hope everything turns out well for your project because it's such a great idea that I may just have to do something like this at school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always found it difficult when I was absent in middle school and high school. I never felt like I was able completely catch up because you miss everything the teacher says. I think have a website where you post things to help students understand what they missed. I can't wait to see how your project turns out.

    ReplyDelete