Thursday, June 21, 2012

Professional Learning Plan

It was really interesting to peruse through my Growth Plan from 810 because it was the first class that I took last fall.  I realized that I had set fairy attainable goals for myself (and my students!).  Most of what I wanted to accomplish had come to fruition. 

I chose to approach my Professional Learning Plan with a culmination of what I had learned from my Growth Plan and what I plan to accomplish over the next six years.  I felt that I could not go beyond that because I am constantly learning new things and trying to improve, so really, I am not sure what I want to do after I reach the last goal I have set on my Professional Learning Plan.  I also chose to present my plan by using Glogster.  I have been feeling very creative and thought it was a great way to tie into what I have learned about visuals.

Here is  a link to my Glog!  Enjoy!

http://amcclain1978.edu.glogster.com/learning-plan-/



In addition, we were asked to view the Professional Learning Plans of others and reflect not only on theirs but on our own.

  • What were some of the online resources that you found that were really helpful? If so what were they and how were they helpful?
 One of the best resources I have found is a blog called Daily Writing Tips.  Now, I realize this is a technology class, but I look for different ways to incorporate technology into writing.  There are always interesting little tid-bits on this site that have helped me develop lessons.  In the technology realm, the best resource I have by far is Google-Docs.  Although I tend to be highly organized, I have organization issues with flash drives.  I will misplace them, forget what I have on them, etc.  I love that G-docs organizes all of my documents, presentations, spreadsheets and forms all in one place.  I never have to worry about losing another flash drive or document again!
  • Did you find any other online communities that could provide resourceful information? If so what were they and how were they helpful?
 Outside of this class I have not really found any other online communities that could provide resourceful information.  However, it is part of my PLP to look into using online communities in my own PLC. 
  • What strategies were helpful for trying to learn a new technology?
The best strategy for me to use when learning a new technology is to first (hopefully!) view a small tutorial so I have a basic understanding of the program or tool and then play!  I work best by just jumping in head first and playing around.  It is frustrating at times, but I think I learn more this way.  
  • How does working with others (verses working alone) support you in your own learning?
 Working with others really forces me out of my comfort zone.  It's not that I am necessarily anti-social, but I am very particular about my work.  I have been faced in the past (not at MSU!) with having to work with others that do not hold themselves to high work ethics and that bothers me.  I have learned to depend on myself and not allow help from others.  My experiences in the MAET program and working with others is starting to help me rely on information from others and know that I have people around me that I CAN depend on for high quality work.  I think there will always be that part of me that likes to work alone, but collaborating online still allows me to complete my own portion of assignments on my own within the set time-frame. 
  • How will you use this experience to support your own lifelong learning of technology?
 I think what I will take away most is that I am learning to collaborate with others through the use of technology.  Although I am still not 100% comfortable working with others, this class has helped me get over that fear, and I will be better at online collaboration because of this course and the wonderful ladies I worked with in my group leadership project.  I owe a lot to them and this course!

3 comments:

  1. I loved your Glog! I used Glogster for my first time during this class and now I'm inspired to use it again and put in podcasts like you. I think that you have a very challenging job as a middle school writing teacher. As you mentioned, many students don't like writing very much by the time they get into middle school. I think that integrating technology in order to improve their writing skills will be the way to go. Kids today love technology! Reducing paperwork is also much more of a reality with technology. Hopefully your school will provide you with the opportunities to do this. As for your future goals, WOW! You are amazing! If you actually able to do all that you have planned to do, I give you all the credit in the world. Best of luck in all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great presentation! I will have to give glogster a try. I can really see it appealing to my second grade audience! I like your thoughts on your shy learners. You bring up a great point on how technology can help learners that do not feel comfortable with public speaking. Technology can be a great outlet for them. Good luck with all your future goals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you used Glog. It is very bright and easy to follow. I really like your future goals that you have on the bottom of the Glog. I think it is great how you are working on reaching your shy learners. I think this is a type of students who needs are not always met. I think it is awesome you plan to focus on this type of student.

    ReplyDelete