Saturday, June 16, 2012

Wicked Problem Project: Part D - Findings and Implications


1.     Formative: Did the project get implemented as planned?


My project did not get implemented as planned.  With the end of the school year approaching and students with final projects to present, I was only able to get one assignment posted in vodcast form for my students.  I was hoping to have more content-oriented lessons posted for my students.  I was also not able to provide my students with any additional resources due to the lack of time.  I wanted to be able to do the research in order to provide my students with more to assist their learning. 

2.     Summative: Evidence of success in addressing the problem of practice


Every teacher experiences and struggles with students that are not present at school, and they feel a great responsibility to deliver instruction to those students.  Realistically, however, it is overbearing at times to catch these students up.  It was a rare day that I only had four students absent out of six classes the day a Glogster assignment was presented to students in class.  The evidence of success in addressing the problem of practice is that three of my absent students actually used the lesson I recorded, and they completed the assignment with ease.  

 

3.     How would you approach another project of this type differently given what you’ve learned here?


I would approach another project of this type with more time to develop appropriate and meaningful lessons.  I would also make sure not to take on too much with one idea.  When starting this project, I was looking at trying to do too much with too little time.  I think the first half of the year of implementation of my particular project would be to create the podcasts and vodcasts of the needed lessons and a question/note sheet to accompany the lessons students completed at home.  I would also locate and share all additional resources I could for students to ensure student success.  Then in the second half of the year, I would look at adding tutoring sessions through Skype. 

4.     What are the lessons learned that others might benefit from knowing about?


I think the most important lesson I learned while completing this project is making sure you know all of the ins and outs of the tools you are using.  I had such difficulty with PhotoStory uploading correctly to my website that I became frustrated.  I thought that because PhotoStory itself is such a simple tool to use, it would be a simple upload to my website.  However, I did not realize that my Weebly website would not upload this type of video without purchasing/ upgrading to their Pro version.  I was not willing at this time to pay for an upgrade.  It took a bunch of “playing” and numerous frustrating nights to figure out how to solve this problem.  Knowing your tools will equal more success and less frustration. 

5.     In what ways will you endeavor to do the same project again, and what will you change or not do?


I will not be attempting this project again myself because I have a new position within the administration at my school.  I will be a writing coach!  I am really excited about this opportunity.  I believe that although I will not be able to create this project for students of my own, I will be able to guide the teachers in using technology to enhance their students’ writing.  I will also be able to offer support to my “old” teammates in their endeavor to create a flipped classroom.  I will be able to make sure that teachers know their tools before trying to attempt this project with their students.  I am looking forward to assisting more students and teachers to a successful writing classroom!


3 comments:

  1. Aubrey,

    I encountered a similar problem with getting technologies to jive. It can be frustrating when you don't know what will and what won't be compatible. Congrats on your new position. It sounds like you will be able to take what you have learned from this project and still apply it in your new position. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the fact that it's the end of the school year made it more difficult for many of us. Had it been earlier in the year, you may have had more opportunities to tweak your Vodcast and more students would have had a chance to use it from home, not just from school. I'm glad to hear that most of your students who were absent who used your Vodcast ended up doing well on the assignment they missed the lesson on! I'm confident that this will go over more smoothly next year with more time and less stress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also found the time of this project to be difficult. With more time left in the school year I think your project would be very helpful for students. I also feel the struggle of meeting with absent students to go over what they missed. I know that in 1st grade there is no way that I can reteach everything that was learned during the day the student was absent. Completing worksheets does not take place of the actual teaching. I hope that this continues to work for you and your students.

    ReplyDelete